Our mission is to harness the collective research power and leading expertise of our member universities to increase the public policy impact and provide a more coordinated, efficient, and enhanced offer to policymakers.
The key activities of UPEN are:
- To serve as a dedicated contact for policymakers to seek and receive expert advice
- To organise knowledge exchange meetings with key policymaking bodies and funders
- To work on collaborative projects with policymakers
- To co-ordinate placement and secondment opportunities from policymakers across our members
- To train academic staff in understanding the policymaking process, and civil servants in understanding how researchers can support them
- To share best policy engagement practices amongst members
- To enhance the profile of UPEN members' policy engagement activities
The Chair of UPEN will be provided by one of its member universities on an annual rotation basis.
In 2019/20, the Chair is Stephen Meek, Director of the Institute for Policy and Engagement at the University of Nottingham.
The UPEN Secretariat will act as the central contact point between UPEN members and policymakers, and have lead role in organising UPEN meetings and events.
In the second year of operation (2019/20), the Secretariat is provided by Kayleigh Renberg-Fawcett and colleagues at the University of Nottingham.