University of Wolverhampton
University of Wolverhampton originally began as a Mechanics Institute in the 1800s, and has been ever expanding its curriculum. By 1903 there were 1300 students, learning such subjects as house painting and pattern making. In 1933 the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Technical College was founded. The College was designated a Polytechnic in 1969 and then received full University status in 1992.
University of Wolverhampton now has over 20,000 students studying across 3 different faculties, with campuses and sites in not just Wolverhampton, but across the West Midlands and Staffordshire, in Telford, Walsall, Burton and Stafford. The University of Wolverhampton is therefore an anchor institution for, and of, the Black Country and the wider West Midlands, and our mission is to 'maximise opportunity through generating knowledge, innovation and enterprise'. Through our innovation in teaching and outstanding student employability we seek to be a progressive and influential sector leader, championing diversity, growth, and creating life chances for all while enhancing economic impact and accelerating ambition across the entire University community.
Research underpins our Strategic Plan, which focuses on supporting learning of students, transforming lives, impacting research beneficiaries and fostering global knowledge exchange and collaborations. Within this broader strategic framework, and to help us achieve our research and impact goals, we have progressed initiatives relating to inter-disciplinary research and collaborations, impact and engagement with regional, national and international agendas, and research integrity and open research.
Contact: Dr Camelia Dijkstra, Head of Research Service